Thursday, March 26, 2009

Presentation Zen

I broke the rules for making a good presentation last Sunday. I had way too many slides, although they were all pictures, and I tried to communicate too much information about my recent trip to Africa. Presentation Zen principles of restraint, simplicity and naturalness did not move people to the front of their chairs. No one leaned into my presentation. I want to do better next time. I need to remind myself of the principles for making powerful presentations: restraint, simplicity, and naturalness. In Brain Rules for Presenters Garr Reynolds combines John Medina's Brain Rules with a lively frog to present the key concepts. Death by Powerpoint is just like it sounds. A slow, boring death by slide after slide of a bunch of bulleted lists is avoidable with proper design and delivery. Finally, a short powerful example of the key ideas for making a memorable presentation.

No comments: