Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 13 – Father’s Day

Today is the day when we celebrate fathers. My father died suddenly twenty-five years ago last November. Brian, our oldest son, turned one just after the memorial service. My dad died of an aortic aneurism probably caused by cigarette smoking educed emphysema. I remember it was a confusing set of circumstances because when my brother first called I thought he was talking about my uncle who had been ill and not my dad. I discovered the truth a day later while talking with my mom. Anyway, it has been twenty-five years since I celebrated my dad, although I’ve thought about him often.

However, Brian and Jonathan, with Carol’s help especially when they were little, have found various creative ways to celebrate their dad. I remember breakfasts in bed, various picnics and outings, and of late very good BBQ steak tended by Brian. Jonathan is the one that frequently comes up with just the right gift. The last two years Brian’s girlfriend, Marilyn, has joined us. She makes amazing pesto. After great food and conversation we usually, as with any special day, conclude with a game around the table. I’m very lucky to have a family that enjoys being together.

No comments: