Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 24 – gratis pro deo, Free and For God

I sometimes dream of having enough money to be free to work as I wish. Then I wonder what I might do. It seems I am more inclined to recognize that which I would not do. I would not rush from one thing to the next; I would not drive my car as much; and I would not have one day the same as the last one. Many jobs seem to be a lot like the last one.

So what would I do? Lately, I’m drawn to cooking and gardening, simple tasks yet practical and earthy. I like to bicycle, walk and daydream. I wonder about school and how it might be changed so more young people would want to attend and would find success there. I read some and write some, mostly for my own edification. I think I’d go back to Africa and stay longer. I recently read on a t-shirt, “I need Africa more than Africa needs me.” There’s deep truth in that statement, enough to daydream about for months or years.

Do these activities leave me gratis pro deo? I not sure, but I’m certain that fulfillment is not about money but about smiles, fitness, digging in the dirt, and prayer.

No comments: